How We Were Formed
The Chinese Christian Church and Center (CCCnC) is a living testimony to our gracious God, who led countless men and women to bear witness to the Chinese community in Philadelphia.
The first recorded baptism of a Chinese person in the Philadelphia area was in 1856. The ensuing decades saw a gradual emergence of Chinese Bible Study groups and Sunday Schools. On September 8, 1941, the door to the Chinese Christian Center (then at 1006 Race Street) was opened under Mitzie Mackenzie’s leadership.
In June 1942, the American Baptist Churches (USA), the Episcopal Church, the Evangelical and Reformed denomination (presently the United Church of Christ), the United Methodist Church, and the Presbyterian Church (USA) united in a concerted evangelical effort to form an interdenominational Board of Directors for the purpose of supporting mission outreach among the Chinese. This led to the official incorporation of the Chinese Christian Church and Center in July 1946, when we also purchased our current premises (225 N 10th Street), establishing a new church building.
In early 1985, the congregation began to be self-supporting. It now joins efforts with different denominations and believers in Christian mission to proclaim the Good News of the Gospel of Christ.
We thank the Almighty God for His manifold blessings and for the fruits of labor of His many faithful servants. We also thank all who share in the work and ministry today. As we look to the future, we are confident that God, who began a good work in us, will carry it on to completion until the coming of Christ Jesus.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-38692669-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'cccnc.org']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);